Saturday, May 9, 2009

New Hope E-News

Announcements

May 17--The Lookouts play Sunday @ 2:15. Sign-up sheet is in the narthex, but we can either meet down there or ride down together!

VBS is nearing: the dates are June 8-12, for your calendars.

On Wednesday Nights in June we’ll be studying Philippians. 4 weeks, 4 chapters. God is good! The Community Kitchen will join us next Wednesday!

Church History Quiz

Q: Who was the leader of the reformation in Scotland?

A Reading from the Confessions

THE SECOND HELVETIC CONFESSION 5.001-2

CANONICAL SCRIPTURE

We believe and confess the canonical Scriptures of the holy prophets and apostles of both Testaments to be the true Word of God, and to have sufficient authority of themselves, not of men. For God himself spoke to the fathers, prophets, apostles, and still speaks to us through the Holy Scriptures. And in this Holy Scripture, the universal Church of Christ has the most complete exposition of all that pertains to a saving faith, and also to the framing of a life acceptable to God; and in this respect it is expressly commanded by God that nothing be either added to or taken from the same.

Text for Sunday, May 10


John 15:1-8

”I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinegrower. He removes every branch in me that bears no fruit. Every branch that bears fruit he prunes to make it bear more fruit. You have already been cleansed by the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me. I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing. Whoever does not abide in me is thrown away like a branch and withers; such branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask for whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples.

Church History Answer


A: John Knox, born in 1515, was made preacher of the Protestant community against his will and from that time on was the main spokesman for the cause of reformation in Scotland

(Answer taken from Justo Gonzalez’s "The Story of Christianity," Volume II, pg. 81)

No comments: